Friday, January 20, 2012

Time to get Technical

Well, this it.  Injections start tomorrow.  I'm nervous and excited and overwhelmed and terrified.

I've been on Cipro since Wednesday - which serves to fend of any bacteria that may enter my system on the front end of this cycle. 

Tomorrow morning, cycle day 19, I will be up way too early for a Saturday morning, shooting myself in the belly with 20 units of Lupron.  During a normal cycle, the pituitary gland talks to your ovaries - tells them that while it's great that multiple follicles may be developing, that they should focus on turning the best follicle into an egg and then prepare it for ovulation.  Lupron shuts off that communication between the pituitary gland and the ovaries.  Multiple follicles will develop, but there is no ovulation on the schedule.  In other words, Lupron puts you in a pre-menopausal state.  So I'm a little worried about the side effects that may show up.

Once my period starts, I'll go in to the RE's office for a baseline ultrasound, and to receive guidance about starting additional meds - these will stimulate the developing follicles to GROW, GROW, GROW.  We will also have a better idea of what our timeline will look like for retrieval.

It's nerve-wracking, but I'm so thankful that we're here.  I really really really really really hope this works.

No comments:

Post a Comment